Monday, November 10, 2008

Assignment 5 + Extra


Here's my assignment for Lesson 5. I used the techniques taught in the video tutorial but did not strictly follow the order of the steps as demonstrated by Bobby. Painting this was a little frustrating but I found the smudge tool to be really really nice to use for smoothing out hair. Ummm, ignore the halo around him! >< The textures of his clothing were added with the technique taught in Lesson 4.


This is something I did extra. (A photo-reference was used.) Here, I didn't use the smudge tool to paint. The painting was mostly done using a basic hard edged brush in Photoshop. I then imported it into Painter and used the "Dry Palette Knife" to smudge the "paint" around, just to create that painterly effect. The brush works almost the same way as Photoshop's smudge tool, but resembles traditional paint a little more.

Where are all my classmates?! D: (Mariann! You removed all your posts! D:)

10 comments:

Althea Aseoche said...

Ciaee... I missed your painting this week! I normally look at what you do and steal ideas. >_<;

Ah well, I will probably post mine in a sec.. as soon as I can figure out why my ftp isn't working.... blargh...

Ciaee said...

O_O Oh, I never knew! I'll try and put them up earlier then next time!

Can't wait to see yours! *jumps about excitedly*

Hazardous said...

Ciaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! *steals all of your skill and knowledge* I love your old mans beard it feel so soft!! And your extra piece... well, your just the best, your illustration skills are soo good!

Ciaee said...

Slow and Silly Very Old frogapillay Jon-Troy Nickel!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you! And don't worry; at the pace you're going, you'll catch up in no time at all! :D

robinH said...

Wow, what a great job on the 5th assignment! I mean, your hair looks totally amazing, I would say it has almost perfect lighting.
If it would be one thing i would correct, it had to be the "halo" around the oldie:) It somewhat draws atention away from for an example, the wonderful job on the hair!

Ciaee said...

Thank you Robin!

Arrrhh, the halo! It's there because I started off with a pretty light tone for the background and I couldn't find a way to darken it. T_T

Althea Aseoche said...

I just realised I didn't even comment on your work. I really can't see anything else besides the halo to nitpick on. I really love the sense of volume in his hair. The lighting is just ace.

The extra painting is really well done too (how long did that take you?) ... I should really try painter one day... T_T

Ciaee said...

Argh the halo! T.T

I'm not sure how long it took me to finish that extra painting. I took LOTS of breaks in between. Without the breaks, it feels like maybe 6 hours in total? Actually, it feels like less. But then it feels like more too. @.@ I'm really not sure at all.

And yes you should definitely try using Painter! It's an awesome program; very addictive.

Mansoureh said...

Wow,great job with the beard!

Ciaee said...

Thanks Mansi! :3